How To Use The 80/20 Rule To Change Your Life
The Pareto Principle (also known as the 80/20 rule) is one that is seriously ignored but can have an impact on your life.
So what is the 80/20 rule? Founded by economist Vilfredo Pareto, the rule says that 80% of your results will come from 20% of your actions.
Step 1: Identify Your 80/20 Goals
Begin by recognizing your 80/20 goals. They are 20% of your goals that will give you 80% of total happiness when achieved, where 100% is the aggregate happiness from achieving all your goals.
These are the goals you should focus on. Keep them to 2–3 goals. They should be in involvement with your life purpose.
Step 2: Identify Your 80/20 Actions
Your 80/20 actions are your key to success.
Instead of jumping straight in the thick of things, take action backward.
Study all the actions you can take in your path. Again, study what others who have to succeed in this goal did. These are your 80/20 actions.
Similarly, for you, you want to identify your 80/20 actions. The key here is not to shy away from doing, but to (a) try different things, (b) open your mind and learn from others, and then © come up with your list of 80/20 actions to act on.
In short, the 80 20 rule places us in charge of our lives and helps us set out on our goals and dreams.
With this in mind, here are some things you can consider concerning this rule.
Here’s what you can do to maximize the benefits of using the 80 20 rule:
1. Focus On Your Big Tasks First
While this is the essence of the 80 20 rule, it’s still worth discussing. Why? Because so many of us feel intimidated by the biggest task. We naturally avoid it and opt for smaller tasks first.
Once we finish off a lot of small tasks, we either feel drained or we tell ourselves we’ll do this the next day.
Instead of doing all that, bite the bullet and tackle the largest task first.
Another way to think about this is that everything we do starts a habit. If every day we spend our energy on low-value tasks, we will always prioritize those.
2. Stretch This Into Personal Life
While I’ve been talking about business and setting goals, remember you can use this in other areas of your life too.
Take your personal life and ask yourself some of these questions:
- These questions can help you in recognizing what shows you are watching purely for consumption. By applying the 80 20 rule, you can cut back on Netflix, TV, or Youtube video consumption and prioritize other areas of your life.
- Knowing what you wear most times will help you in sorting out your wardrobe significantly. It also saves you time to come up with what to wear every morning.
- This question can help you in figuring out which newsletters to unsubscribe to and can clear up a lot of space in your inbox. It can also relieve pressure from having to check your emails constantly.
- How much of that time is actually doing something meaningful? These questions can help you in realizing out various apps that aren’t helping you with your goals. In fact, this can curb the need to check your phone constantly.
The 80 20 rule is the productivity hack that many of us need and for good reason. As you can tell, it’ll help you to focus and prioritize the more important aspects of your life.